Thursday, March 25, 2010

Can you solve the riddle??

If any of you are my friends on facebook then I'm sure you are wondering what is going on with Ryan. Well...nobody knows. She has, yet again, brought on another mystery. Only this time, it's a pretty big one. In the last post, I mentioned that Ryan had a sinus infection, fever of 103 and pink eye. Well, everything went away, except the fevers. For the last 3 weeks....yes 3!!!! Ryan has had fevers that have come and gone, but mostly stayed with her. This past Saturday, we alternated Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours and then we went to sleep in my bed around 9 pm. Jay was at the neighbors house watching the UK game and when he came home, he came into our room and felt Ryan's head. She was ON FIRE!!! He woke me up and was freaking out. Josh was here and was already sleeping. I grabbed the thermometer and took her temp under her arm and then added a degree. 105.6 was the result. WHAT?!?!? THIS IS NOT happening!!!! Jay stayed with Josh because we didn't want him to be freaking out and I got Ryan in the car and HIGH TAILED it up to Children's Hospital. On the way, I called the ped that was on call and she said to make sure they get a urine sample to check for a UTI. She also called the ER to let them know we were coming. We always get right in with her because of the heart issues. The nurse in the ER triage checked her temp again and it was the same. She gave her a dose of motrin and within an hour, it had dropped to 103. She was M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E!!!! The nurses came in and said they needed to use a cathetor to get a clean urine sample for the test. I left the room!!! I've been there with her while she has had a cathetor at about 6 months old and I can't watch it. Anyways.....the test came back negative. Her urine was CLEAN. So, what is it? NOBODY KNOWS!!! We finally left the hospital at about 4:30 am. The doctor sent us home and said he thinks she caught some sort of virus and said to alternate tylenol and motrin again all day Sunday. He said "if she is still running a fever AT ALL on Monday, follow up with her pediatrician." OK.....will do.
On to Monday: Ryan woke up feeling pretty good. She hadn't had a fever since about 8 pm Sunday night, so I took her to school. 1 pm hit and I got the call. They had given her tylenol at about noon and the temp was still at 103. I couldn't leave work, so my mom went and picked her up and brought her back to our house. I left work at 4 and made an appt with the peds office for 6:45 pm. When we got there, the nurse practitioner sent us upstairs (into the hospital) to get a chest x-ray and blood work in the lab. I had talked to Ryan's cardiologist, Dr. Hor on the way and he sent an order for the labs. He wanted to know if there was bacteria in her blood for fear that it would get into her heart. We finally got home at about 9:15 pm. They said to follow up again on Thursday.
On to today: Jay took Ryan BACK to the peds office this morning. All of the blood work was fine except for her white blood count. The normal count is between 10 and 15 thousand. Hers was at 22,000. Hmmm.....all that means is that there is an infection SOMEWHERE in her body. WHERE?!?!? NOBODY KNOWS!!!! The x-ray was clean as well. Nothing in the lungs. Back to square one. She prescribed an anti-biotic for Ryan to take for 10 days JUST IN CASE!!! And, we are getting some prescription ear drops filled because the inside of her ear was just a little red. So, she will get the drops a couple times a day JUST IN CASE!!! Ryan's next cardiology appointment was not until June 7th......now it is next Wednesday. She will be getting her usual sedated echocardiogram. We didn't schedule an appointment to see Dr. Hor but he always stops by to say hello. He will call us later in the day with the results. His fear is that the high fevers may be doing more damage to her heart, or any other organ for that matter.
During the past 3 weeks, Ryan's energy level has been NON-EXISTENT. She doesn't want to do ANYTHING!!! I was pleasantly surprised yesterday that she even wanted to step foot outside. She has been laying on the couch basically for 3 weeks, not eating much but still staying hydrated. After the meds that she takes are over, if she still is having problems, we are going to follow up with the peds AGAIN! Can you solve the riddle? Do you know what could be wrong? Because we don't have a clue!!! All I know, is I feel SO BAD for her. I hate that feeling of not being able to make her better. Hopefully these meds will work some sort of magic and take care of whatever this is. Please keep Ryan in your prayers. I will keep everyone posted if anything else happens. If anybody has ANY idea's as to what could be wrong with her, please let me know. If you do not want to leave it as a comment on here for any reason, please email me at rysmom07@yahoo.com Any and all idea's or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry that I really have nothing posotive to write about right now, but I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I will post again sometime soon and will have to play catch up with all of your blogs again this weekend!!!! THANKS FOR ALL OF THE LOVE AND SUPPORT!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have not been on FB in a LONG time to check anyone's updates so I am sorry I am out of the loop.

    Boy, I am not sure what to tell you if they have checked for everything. The high WBC count is a little worrisome though. I wonder if they will look on the echo to see if she might have an infection in her heart.....like Endocarditis. I hope not though because you don't want that either.

    Hang in there!! I'm saying lots of prayers for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for Ryan!!! Oh My!! Poor Ryan!! I have no idea what it could be, but I hope there is nothing wrong with her heart!!

    Sending you LOTS of **Heart Hugs**!! Hang in there!!

    With LOTS of Hope, Love, and Faith,
    Lauren (22yr. old CHD Survivor)

    Blog: www.laurensheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just now getting around to reading this, and praying that things are a some better by now!! Poor girl! Prayers for wisdom and healing coming your way!!

    Big heart hugs and PRAYERS,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete