Monday, February 22, 2010

Why blog??

First of all, I have to thank Shannon Carter (www.thecarolinacarters.blogspot.com) for the idea behind this post. She too did a post like this and I thought it was great to let people know why we share our personal lives and the lives of our children with anybody who wants to read.
So, WHY BLOG? Why put my life on the internet and the life of my daughter?
ONE WORD FOR YOU....... HOPE!!!
I blog to spread hope. To let other's know that they are not alone. To educate someone on the effects of CHD's and what it REALLY does to people. Not everybody know about CHD. I didn't know anything about it until Ryan was diagnosed when she was a month old. Since then, I have learned more than I could ever imagine!!! The most important thing that I have learned, is that I am not alone on this lifelong journey with my precious baby girl!! Other's feel the way that I feel and have good days and bad just like me. This is why I blog.....what about you?
Onto Ryan's appointment today. We got to the hospital 15 minutes early as it is always requested. We got Ryan checked in to see ENT and we sat......and sat.....and sat some more. We now fully understand why it's called a WAITING ROOM!!!! UGH!!!! ok..sorry about that...pent up anger!! So, after about 30 minutes, we FINALLY got called back. After we got into the room, the nurse asked if we had any issues with the tubes in Ryan's ears so far and then she said Dr. Myer would be right in. As soon as she left, Ryan told us she needed to go potty. I took her down the hall, and on my way back, I passed Dr. Myer in the hallway and he smiled and said he would be right in. Today's definition of "RIGHT IN: I will get to you whenever I have a free minute LITERALLY......ONE MINUTE and that means I will come into the room to see your daughter in about a half an hour!!!" eeeks.....more anger coming out.
There you have it. We waited ANOTHER 33 minutes to be exact for Dr. Myer to come in...meanwhile, Ryan went potty twice during that time...she is doing SO GREAT!!!
Anyways.....onto what was discussed. Ryan of course, screamed her head off as soon as the doc came into the room. He looked in her ears, which required us holding her down, and said everything looked great!! The tubes are still in placing and doing their job. When he looked in her throat, a different story. He said her tonsils are moderatly larger than they should be. Not average, not HUGE, but too big for her throat. He does believe this is what is causing her to snore and stop breathing several times during her sleep. (she does this during naps and at night) He said he DOES want us to speak with pulmonary medicine about them doing the sleep study. This means, we have to do a consultation, then schedule a night to stay at the hospital. We have to arrive at about 6 pm and then hopefully have Ryan asleep by 11. I'm not sure how it's going to go since she will have stickers ALL over her body. Her head, ears, face, arms, chest, legs AND feet. RIGHT....ALL OVER!!!! I am going to try to make it as pleasant as possible. With her recently found LOVE for spider-man, I'm hoping to get her excited about it by telling her we are going to have a popcorn and movie party at the hospital with stickers?? I hope it works. I spoke to pulmonary medicine today and they said it will take 4-6 weeks to even get the consult. Ryan is scheduled to see Dr. Myer again in 4 months. So to recap the check ups, cardiology is on June 7th and ENT is on June 26, and then a sleep study before all that. GRRRR......it is all very frustrating!!! I hope this whole ordeal with the sleep study is worth it. I really don't want her to have to go through anything else, but it's one of those things, where you don't wanna go through all the trouble of the study for nothing....does that make sense?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the potty!!

    I'm glad Ryan's tubes look good, but hate to hear about the tonsil/sleep study issue. Keep us posted, and we'll be praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post on blogging. I think most of us that blog want to share our stories with someone just starting their journey into the CHD world.

    YEAH for the potty! I wish my 4 year-old son were that good with the potty.

    As for the appointment...gotta love 'em. I am looking forward to the day when I have an appointment and we actually go back to see the doctor at our appointment time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you will be busy with appointments. Our busy month is coming up. Three different docs in one month....all requiring an hour and a half drive one way.

    Way to go Ryan on going potty!

    Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
    www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete